Daniel was born in 1818 at Uley, Gloucestershire, England, son of Moses Garlick, plasterer and weaver, and his wife Rachel, née Smith. After his wife died Moses decided to migrate to South Australia with his sons Daniel, Thomas and William. They sailed in the Katherine Stewart Forbes and arrived in the new colony on 17 October 1837.Daniel and his father ran a business as builders and timber merchants in Kermode Street, North Adelaide, until the early 1850s when Daniel's health declined imposing a life change. His father bought some 450 acres at One Tree Hill, and with his three sons grew wheat, planted a vineyard and made wine. After their father died about 1860, Thomas and William remained on the farm but Daniel began business as an architect in Gawler. His projects included designing villas, cottages, country houses, shops, churches and chapels for the town and the countryside. About 1862 he married Lucy King, but after only nine years she died leaving three young sons.
Garlick designed many churches and banks in townships north of Adelaide and in 1864 was described as an architect and land and estate agent with offices in Adelaide. Among the buildings which he designed in and around Adelaide in the 1860s and 1870s are the original buildings of Prince Alfred College, St Barnabas College, part of the Collegiate School of St Peter where the original buildings had been designed by others, and the south wing of Adelaide Town Hall. In 1891 Daniel's son Arthur joined the firm.
Garlick died aged 84 in North Adelaide on 28 September 1902. He was survived by his second wife Mary Rebecca (1832?-1912), a widow whom he had married on 29 September 1877, and by a son and a daughter. Daniel is buried in the North Road, cemetery.
ReferencesSullivan, Christine, 'Garlick, Daniel’, Architecture Museum, University of South Australia, 2008, Architects of South Australia
Australian Dictionary of BiographyChronicle Saturday 1 November 1924, page 51